Monday, January 19, 2009

Sage - Newport Beach

My friends from Alpha Phi Omega and I went to SAGE for Newport Beach Restaurant Week. Sage, although a really nice, fancy place, was located in a regular plaza. You would not have guessed this type of restaurant existed in Eastbluff Plaza next to Ralphs and CVS Pharmacy!

We went in and was promptly seated. One thing I noticed was that we were a young bunch compared to everyone else there who were eating lunch. We were also the only Asians in the entire restaurant-- minus this one old Asian couple.

Appetizer Choices was Tortilla Soup or Spicy Ahi Spring Rolls. Uhhh... I should've known that in an American place they always mix up "spring rolls" and "egg rolls".


Does that look like SPRING ROLLS to you?! haha... oh wells. I thought I was actually getting spring rolls so I was a TAD bit disappointed when Spicy Ahi EGG ROLLS came out. OH! I can't even say ROLLS cause it's only one roll cut into three pieces. darn false advertisement. But it was good. =)

Entree Choices-- Ahi Burger, Asian BBQ Short Ribs, Chinese Chicken Salad.


Didn't try the Ahi Burger but Stanley said it was good. =)
Tried a piece of the short ribs. It was pretty good but I'm not really a short ribs kind of person but it was flavored nicely.
The Chinese Chicken Salad was fresh but I got so little salad! I'm used to paying $8-$10 and getting a giant mound of salad. But the salad at Sage costs $13 and I only hand a few handfuls of salad. It was really fresh, the tangerines were really sweet! yummay.

Dessert choices-- Lemon Tart or Bread Pudding

I didn't try to Lemon Tart but the 3 who did said it was really lemon-y but in a good way. You could tell they used real lemon to flavor the tart.

The bread pudding I thought was SUPER good. I've tried bread pudding else where and I've never really like it. But I chose to get bread pudding over lemon tart because I just don't like lemon tart. I'm so glad I did! Nice texture and hint of cinnamon. Mark who also tried the bread pudding didn't like it as much because he thought it was too mushy. I think it was his first time with bread pudding. =P

Overall it was a good experience. Price for 5 of us was $80 + tip = $95. Split with 5 people we each paid $19-- which isn't bad for a three course lunch. We left full but not bloated.

2531 Eastbluff
Newport Beach, CA 92660

No comments:

Post a Comment